The 'NO' files. Part one.
3:33 PM | Author: Neue
Welcome back. Today I roll out my weekly blog column: The NO Files. Wherein I will be ranting on, if not limited to, Otaku Culture. From creepy dating sims to pointless merchandise, I shall skewer it without mercy and with extreme prejudice. Also appearing in short order will be The YES files, which as you may have guess, will be the exact opposite of The NO files.

For my first item of silliness, I must mention that I am a long time Neon Genesis Evangelion fan. Coming straight off off the likes of DBZ, Gundam Wing, and Outlaw Star, Evangelion was a truly eye opening experiance. Further, seeing as I was about 15 at the time, I like countless other fell head over heels in fanboy love with the now iconic main character; Rei Ayanami, and I would be lying if I said that fanaticism had died off completely.

So, when I see something like this:

Photobucket

I get bloody aggravated. Clearly targeted at the sub section of the EVA/Rei fandom that simply MUST buy every single piece of Rei merchandise released. Really now, what a complete insult to the creative minds behind this character. From cold and aloof bio mechanical robot pilot, to a mermaid brandishing a sea shell ocarina.

Hell, I'm sure there exists a mermaid fetish, and if its to flourish anywhere, it will flourish In Japan.

Continuing on with the Rei theme, I came across this hideous figure.

Photobucket

Now, Rei IS a sex symbol. I have no problem with that (her personality isn't exactly winning). So I'm very much accustomed to seeing the character depicted as being very much in need of a chastity belt.

This figure however, somehow manages to not only does away with the original character designs sex appeal, but also succeeds in being one of the single most tacky, unattractive, tasteless figures I have ever seen. I mean really, removable translucent plates? Translucent hair?!?! I should also point out that her facial features are less than well detailed.

Bleh.

Well, thats it for part one. Return next Monday for more... If you can stomache it.
|
This entry was posted on 3:33 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: